The Institute of Surface Chemistry of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine was founded in 1986.
The Institute is carrying out the fundamental and applied studies along the scientific direction such as:
- chemistry, physics and technology of surface:
- theory of chemical structure and reactivity of surface of solids, research into the nature of active sites of surface, mechanisms of adsorption, chemical reactions, and other transformations in a surface layer;
- medicobiological problems of surface;
- researches into surface states, diffusion phenomena, charge and mass transfer, phase formations in nanostructures, collective interaction in assamblies of particles, size-quantized effects of systems, interaction with radiation;
- technology of production of nanomaterials, highly disperse oxides, their modified forms, and composites on their basis.
To-day Institute of Surface Chemistry is an Academician institution having a significant scientific and experimental-industrial potential: 350 co-workers are working at the Institute, including 100 scientific researchers, 17 Professors, 80 Doctors of Sciences, 25 post-graduate students.
The Institute comprises 3 experimental plants and Special construction-technological department